- This historic city at the crossroads of the Silk Road is famous for its Sunday animal market.
- The Capital of Sichuan Province is home to the Panda Reserve and Grand Buddha
- Dates back to 1000BC and hosts the outstanding Terracotta Worriors.
- The Great Wall, Forbidden City, Summer Palace, Tiananmen Square, Olympic Games and much more.
- The City of the old and the new earns its title as "Paris of the East" and is the top Shopping Centre too.
- Stunning limestone formations along the banks of the wonderous Li River.
- A captivating blend of Eastern and Western cultures, the perfect add-on to any tour.
Pingyao Ancient City
Pingyao, named a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997, is renowned for its well-preserved Ancient City Wall. The wall, constructed in 1370, has six gates, four structured towers at the four corners and 72 watchtowers.
The city was at its peak during the Ming dynasty (1368 – 1644) and offers a fascinating insight into the architectural styles of Imperial China, as the walls and design of the city are typical of the symmetrical layout of the era.
Pingyao was the financial centre of China in the late Qing Dynasty. During those times, there were as many as 20 financial institutions within the city, comprising more than half of the total in the whole country. Among these is "Rishengchang," considered the first bank in China and pioneered the use of paper checks as a form of payment.
- Discover China's Dynasties
- Trace three thousand years of magnificent history. Visit four ancient imperial capitals as well as the wonderfully preserved UNESCO listed town of Pingyao. Discover the roots of Chinese Buddhism at Wutaishan, the Longmen Grottoes and also Shaolin, w ...
- 18 days from £1990
News & features
Call on 0844 288 5396 or for general tour enquiries click here
Complete your Customer Satisfaction Questionnaire here!