- This historic city at the crossroads of the Silk Road is famous for its Sunday animal market.
- The Capital of Sichuan Province is home to the Panda Reserve and Grand Buddha
- Dates back to 1000BC and hosts the outstanding Terracotta Worriors.
- The Great Wall, Forbidden City, Summer Palace, Tiananmen Square, Olympic Games and much more.
- The City of the old and the new earns its title as "Paris of the East" and is the top Shopping Centre too.
- Stunning limestone formations along the banks of the wonderous Li River.
- A captivating blend of Eastern and Western cultures, the perfect add-on to any tour.
Almost two thousand years before being named ‘The Silk Road’, the great East-West trade route, which extends 5,000 miles on land and sea, was first travelled by emissaries of the Han Dynasty. As the centuries passed, many caravans set out from the ancient capital of Chang’an (modern Xian) and ventured westwards along a route that took them to Kashgar and then over the Pamir Mountains to Central Asia and finally to Rome. Jiayu Fort in Jiayuguan marks the most westerly pass of the Great Wall of China.
Although silk played only a small part in the trade that was carried along the way, the name Silk Road has become synonymous with the many amazing images, cultures and diverse peoples encountered along its path.
China Group tours that include Silk Road
Luxury China tours that include Silk Road
Private China tours that include Silk Road
Independent tours and extensions to China
Silk Road Explorer
- UK - Xian - Overnight Train (1N) - Lanzhou (2N) - Xiahe (2N) - Overnight Train (1N) - Jiayuguan (1N) - Dunhuang (2N) - Overnight Train (1N) - Turpan (2N) - Overnight Train (1N) - Kashgar (1N) - Urumqi (2N) - Beijing (3N) - UK
- Follow in the footsteps of Marco Polo to discover the history of the Silk Road, a centuries-old route strongly influenced by Muslim and Buddhist beliefs. Visit ancient forts and desert oases, walk on the far western end of the Great Wall and experience the famous Sunday Market in Kashgar....
- 26 days - from £3490
News & features
Complete your Customer Satisfaction Questionnaire here!